Welcome to the page for Home Care members of SEIU Virginia 512. Questions? Need assistance? Call your union at 571-432-0209 or email email@example.com
March 2021 Updates
(1) VICTORY: Home Care Workers Win 18.9% Raise and Paid Sick Days in State Budget! WOW! What else can we say? Thanks to your advocacy, the General Assembly (our state legislature) passed: 18.9% raises for Home Care workers (6.4% on May 1, and 12.5% on November 1), up to 5 paid sick days for qualifying consumer-directed home care workers, an orientation program for home care workers, and additional waiver slots for people with diabilities and older adults to get home care. This victory was months and years in the making, and it’s proof of what we can accomplish when we come together in our union, SEIU!
(2) Next Step: Call on the Governor to Finalize the Raises and Paid Sick Days! The final step to winning our raises and paid sick days is to have the Governor sign the budget and bills. We need everyone — every home care worker, consumer, family member, friend and neighbor — to call on the Governor to support these measures. Click here to sign the petition, and then send it to everyone you know in Virginia!
(3) Open Enrollment for Exclusive Union Member Benefits: March 1 – April 15. As a union member, you have access to exclusive benefits, including short-term disability, life insurance with long-term care, Aflac accident, hospital, critical illness and term life insurance. Read more here. To review the plans, ask questions, and set up a meeting with our benefits counselors: click here. Open enrollment lasts until April 15, and the effective start date is May 1.
(4) Home Care Workers are Currently Eligible for the COVID Vaccine! As a Home Care worker, you are in Group 1A and are eligible for the vaccine! Contact your local health department to set up an appointment. If you don’t hear back, contact the Virginia Department of Health at 877-275-8343, or contact the union. If you live or work in Northern Virginia, you can use this link from our allies at ECNV. To learn more about the vaccine, visit the SEIU Member Website for Coronavirus Resources.
(5) Join the March 8th Member Call to Get All the News You Need! Join the March Member Meeting on Monday, March 8th at 8 pm, via telephone. We will share the latest news on raises, paid sick days, member benefits, vaccines, and the effort to win federal funding for good Home Care jobs and services. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the call-in number.
Home Care Worker Coronavirus Information: For information for Medicaid providers, see the Consumer Directed Services Fact Sheet, Medicaid Memo dated March 19, 2020 (including info on EVV) and Medicaid Memo dated April 22, 2020. For information for Medicaid consumers, see the Medicaid COVID-19 one-pager. For information on providing Home Care services during the coronavirus crisis, visit this CDC website and read OSHA guidance on how to maintain safe worksites/homes. Plus: read the Fact Sheet for Health Care Workers (also available in Armenian, Chinese, French, Hmong, Korean, Russian, Spanish, and Vietnamese). For information on resources available to working families in Virginia, see: Virginia 211 or cal 2-1-1 on your phone. Lastly, click here to listen to a Virginia Public Radio story about our members on the frontlines.
Home Care providers came together to found our union in 2006 (originally known as the Virginia Association of Personal Care Assistants) to have a strong voice on the job and to make improvements to the home care system we all love.
In the years since, union members have won many improvements to home care, including:
- Multiple raises for home care providers
- Thousands of new waiver slots for older adults and people with disabilities
- Assistance with paycheck issues; and
- We saved the program from elimination!
We know that home care providers and consumers still face many challenges, including the lack of paid sick days, and the 40-hour cap on the number of hours that home care providers can work each week. United together, we can face and overcome any challenge.
The union members on the Executive Board are:
Thomasine Wilson, Chair
Shena Craig, Vice Chair
Samuri Brooks, Secretary
Joyce Barnes, Director
Joyce Bumbray-Graves, Director
Ebone Newton, Director
Yolanda Ross, Director
The VAPCA Home Care union Constitution and Bylaws can be found here: Home Care Constitution and Bylaws
For more information on the union and our efforts to win Quality Jobs and Quality Home Care, please contact the union by phone at 571-432-0209 and by e-mail at email@example.com