After a full year of advocacy by SEIU members, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors approved funding in September, 2019 to convert up to 235 positions from limited term (1560 hrs) or “non-merit,” to merit positions with full benefits. The county is in the process of selecting from over 1,200 limited term positions for the conversion, as well as developing position descriptions and establishing qualifications. By law, any appointments to merit positions must be on a competitive basis.
SEIU members have been meeting with DHR and the Board of Supervisors to ensure that this conversion is done fairly, equitably, and with full transparency.
While Fairfax County has not yet released which specific positions will be converted, there are steps that union members can take today to prepare. After all, if your limited term position is converted, we want you to be in position to submit an application which reflects that you are the best candidate.
Remember: Your Union Is Here To Help!
If you have been working in a limited term position, we encourage you to take these steps NOW:
- Contact our union office at firstname.lastname@example.org and add your name to our list so that we can keep you updated on the process and invite you to workshops on submitting your application.
- Make an extensive, detailed list of all of the tasks you have been performing in the limited term position.
- Compile a list of your past work experiences, education, certificates, licenses, skills, languages, and references.
- Subscribe to the County’s Job Alert for your department:https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/fairfaxcounty/jobInterestCards/categories
- Become familiar with the County’s Hiring and Job Application Process:
- Hiring Process Overview https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/hr/hiring-process-overview
- Job Application Guidelines and Tips https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/hr/job-application-guidelines-and-tips
- Create your NEOGOV account, and remember to write down your Username and Password.
We believe that everyone who works at the county should make a living wage, have affordable health care, and enjoy a secure retirement. Funding the conversion of 235 positions to merit jobs is a good first step. Now let’s work together to hold the county accountable and ensure that the conversion is done fairly, equitable, and will full transparency. For more info, contact your union at email@example.com or 571-432-0209.