On December 17, Governor McAuliffe announced his state budget proposal. The 2-year, $109 billion budget lays out the state’s priorities, which include critical investments in our public services, such as mental health, home care, quality education and secure retirements.
That’s why SEIU Virginia 512 members from across Virginia are mobilizing to advocate at the General Assembly for passage of a final budget, which invests in working families.
The Governor’s budget proposal includes:
- Medicaid Expansion to provide healthcare for 400,000 hard-working, low-income Virginians and create 30,000 new jobs
- Increased funding for mental health and county government health care services
- A 2% raise for underpaid home care providers and funding for overtime pay
- 955 new waiver slots to help older adults and people with disabilities access life-saving, cost-effective home care services
- Funding for the Virginia Retirement System to keep the promises we’ve made to our dedicated public servants
- $1 billion in additional funding for public education
- And more!
These investments will make it easier for working families to provide for their children, see a doctor, pay their bills and live a better life.
Union members and allies’ advocacy helped make this happen. But we’re not there yet! The next step is for this budget to go to the legislators in the General Assembly, who will make changes to it.
Whether our legislators protect or take away these investments depends on whether you make your voice heard.
Lobby Day is your chance to speak with your legislators and their staff and tell them how important it is to invest in working families and to invest in our future.
With so much on the line, won’t you make your voice heard? Join your fellow union members and sign up today!